being brave

as i mentioned before, chris and i joined one of the local running/triathlon teams in the area. i have gone to a couple group runs, but have yet to go to a track workout.

well last night was the night.

for some reason this made me pretty nervous. i mean it is the track after all, not my most favorite place on earth. plus i haven’t done ANY speed work since before CIM. what if i was the slowest or what if i just didn’t fit in?

well chris and i met after work at the track and waited around for a bit before some people started to show up. one guy asked if we were there for the team workout and we said yes so we started jogging with him. we talked a little bit and then met up with the others. it was a really small group, just 6 of us – 3 girls, 3 guys, but everyone was so so so nice. after our warm up, we did some drills then lined up to start the workout.

2 sets of 4×800 meter at 10k race pace (200 walk/jog between)
5 min jog between sets

not so bad or intimidating right?

so off we went… the first one i definitely got caught up with the other runners and went too fast. when i finished the first lap i was at a 6:30 pace and that most definitely isn’t my 10k pace. i pulled back but still finished too fast. i was the last one to come in, but that’s ok, i wasn’t too far behind one girl and everyone was so encouraging and so nice. i didn’t feel bad at all about being the last one. we continued on with the workout and it felt so good to be out there running fast again.

1 – 3:33.0
2 – 3:38.8
3 – 3:39.6
4 – 3:38.8
5 – 3:40.8
6 – 3:35.1
7 – 3:38.9

(avg 3:37.9 or 7:16 pace)

we got kicked off the track before our last 800 and didn’t get much of a cool down, so i didn’t get in my planned mileage for the day (around 6, planned 8), but that’s ok, i will get the miles in. i stayed pretty consistent, but accidentally had a couple faster ones. they were all a bit faster than my 10k pace, but i was happy with what felt close to a 10k effort.

i was so happy that we got out there and are being proactive with this. one of the main reasons i wanted to join a running team is to be pushed by running with faster runners, and i am definitely going to find that here. everyone was so nice and now i know not to feel intimidated or nervous. plus i actually had fun out there on the track with other runners!

i definitely left there with a smile on my face :)

42 Responses to being brave

1. Amy February 11, 2010 at 9:35 am #

Good job being brave!! Those are some speedy times too!

2. Tim F. February 11, 2010 at 9:37 am #

Good job! I came to really enjoy the track workouts – mostly doing Yasso 800s.

3. Jocelyn February 11, 2010 at 9:53 am #

Wow, great run! Those speed groups are to intimidating for me! Way to get out there

4. Leslie February 11, 2010 at 9:54 am #

Nice job, Aron! I love these 800s. It's always tempting to run too fast for the first couple, but looks like you were pretty consistent with all of them so that's great! Welcome back to speed!

5. runnernic.com February 11, 2010 at 10:02 am #

Great job on the track workout!! For some reason going to the track intimidates me too!

6. Anna Banana February 11, 2010 at 10:18 am #

Sounds like a good work out and a little out of your comfort zone which I think is good for all areas of our life.

I need to get my butt to the track but I can't see it because it is always covered with snow!

7. X-Country2 February 11, 2010 at 10:29 am #

Sounds like the perfect group. Good luck!

8. Morgan February 11, 2010 at 10:30 am #

I get nervous about meeting up with running groups too. I now meet up with one for my recovery runs on Sunday but I'm still to shy to really chat up anyone. I can't imagine running track with a group, that would scare the begees outta me! Great job girl!

9. Kathrin February 11, 2010 at 10:32 am #

I am so much slower than you and have done track workouts with people that have been so much faster than I am… Still, I prefer doing it in a group over doing it on my own any time.

Enjoy the group time! ;-)

10. Carlee February 11, 2010 at 10:44 am #

I'd love to find something like that even though I would feel so intimidated too. It would probablly take me a few months after finding out about a track group to actually go run with one. You did awesome though, aren't those times predictive of like a 3:37 marathon? And you haven't even been doing speedwork lately!

11. Roisin February 11, 2010 at 11:29 am #

Craziness…track work! But good for you, getting it done. I'd be too intimidated. But if I was there, you'd DEFINITELY not be the last one in ;)

12. Marlene February 11, 2010 at 11:34 am #

Awesome job on those 800s. I love trying to keep up with the faster runners and pushing myself that little bit harder.

13. Running and living February 11, 2010 at 11:41 am #

Yay to face your fear and get out there. The track will make you faster! Oh, and I think maybe reevaluate your 10K pace for a 3:30-3:35 marathon goal. Or run them at 5K pace after a couple of weeks. You can do it! Just sayin'..

14. marathonmaiden February 11, 2010 at 11:44 am #

awesomeness on those 800s. you totally rocked it. nice job overcoming the scary-ness of the group track workout :)

15. Anne February 11, 2010 at 12:08 pm #

Great job…wow!! So glad the group is so nice :)

16. Heather February 11, 2010 at 12:32 pm #

Nice track workout – I love the idea of doing speed workouts with a group. I think I would definitely push myself more.

17. Chic Runner February 11, 2010 at 12:42 pm #

I felt the same way when I met you girls for the first time and look at us now! Being brave is a good thing and from what you told me the other weekend it sounds like the girls were super cool! :) So happy you found a great club! (oh and nice run! ha ha) See you soon!!!

18. runsarah February 11, 2010 at 12:45 pm #

Awesome times! Running on the track can be so satisfying and such a different workout!

19. Amanda - RunToTheFinish February 11, 2010 at 1:04 pm #

oh i scare myself out of serious speedwork for sure, but i'm trying!

20. Steel Springs February 11, 2010 at 1:32 pm #

I'm glad that you had a good time! It sounds like a fun group of runners.

21. Mark February 11, 2010 at 1:39 pm #

You are on the right track! Great splits!

22. Jill February 11, 2010 at 2:53 pm #

Great 800's! I can't wait til our track club starts their interval sessions again … not until it warms up, unfortunately.

23. Jeri February 11, 2010 at 5:03 pm #

three cheers for a speedy and awesome track workout. :D great joB!

24. ...Barbie... February 11, 2010 at 6:04 pm #

yay for joining a running club and a great track workout. i want to join a club but i have the same fears you have/had!

25. Carly February 11, 2010 at 6:50 pm #

Sounds like a great group. I had my best runs being part of a running team because everyone pushed each other.

26. I Run for Fun February 11, 2010 at 6:52 pm #

Sounds like a great speed workout. Speed workouts are so much easier and more fun in a group.

27. Mel-2nd Chances February 11, 2010 at 7:14 pm #

Awesome that you joined that team, sounds like you'll be running with some awesome people, and as much as you'll be pushed by others, you will inspire and push others as well Aron! Must feel good to have the first one outta the way though! No need to be nervous anymore!

28. Ashley February 11, 2010 at 7:18 pm #

Good for you for joining, I think we can all improve by spending time training with those faster than us. I need to find a running club to join that has track workouts but I'm a little nervous too so I'll have to be brave.

29. Alisa February 11, 2010 at 7:35 pm #

I'm glad this isn't my group, if you were last everyone would be lapping me!

I was last in my group but didn't care either, everyone was soooooo nice.

30. ESH February 11, 2010 at 7:53 pm #

I so am with you on the nerves. I really want to join a local running group for a track workout but I am definitely scared to! Way to get out there and run a kick a@@ workout!

31. Meg February 11, 2010 at 7:54 pm #

Nice splits, keep up the great work!

32. audgepodge February 11, 2010 at 10:25 pm #

Your running group sounds scary fast!!! This will be great for you – but terrifying for me :P

33. Laura February 12, 2010 at 6:46 am #

Thanks for the advice on my post, I'll definatley try icing my legs after my next run, icing them in a bucket sounds a lot more attractive than an ice bath too which I'd been really avoiding haha!

Great intervals and times by the way, I tried 800m intervals for the first time this week, I did 5 of them with 90s rest in between, they were a nightmare!

34. Tara February 12, 2010 at 9:27 am #

YAY, for being brave! I need to be brave and suck it up and do a group ride on my bike and just get out there :-/

35. J February 12, 2010 at 10:57 am #

You did great!! That is a tough first workout but 800m repeats are good for speed and endurance! So glad you enjoyed it!

36. Adam February 12, 2010 at 1:33 pm #

Nice! That is just about the right size. Not too big, but not too small.

37. Denise February 13, 2010 at 7:14 am #

Great job! I did my first track workout the other day and loved it. It's so much more fun to me when I know I pushed myself hard.

38. lindsay February 13, 2010 at 2:11 pm #

glad you got out there! it can be nerve-wracking to run with new people but at least chris was there too :)

umm for being the "slow" one… you rocked! you are going to get even faster running with this group, and def don't be calling yourself "slow" ok?

happy v-day weekend!

1. Back at the track | runner's rambles - January 7, 2011

[...] am really trying to get most of my training done in the morning.  I reminded myself about the first time I went to group track ever, how I was really scared and how I was so glad I went, so I told him I [...]

2. friday favorites – L.O.V.E. | runner's rambles - January 7, 2011

[...] i was brave and went to the [...]

3. playing games | runner's rambles - January 18, 2011

[...] we started our set of 800s.  i knew i averaged 3:37 last week so i was hoping to be around there again, and low and [...]

4. friday favorites – big sur training cycle | runner's rambles - April 24, 2011

[...] for me during this training cycle was finding a love for speed work, specifically the track!  joining a team has helped tremendously with this and i have really seen some improvements in my running.  [...]