flex those muscles

my last year of college i spent a lot of time in the gym.  i would definitely consider myself a gym rat at that point in my life, now i don’t even have a gym membership!

on top of doing cardio on machines, i lifted weights 5 days a week.  i really loved having a weight routine and it is something that has followed me since then.  i would concentrate on one body part a day and spend about 30 minutes a day on each part.

1. shoulders
  2. chest
  3. back
  4. arms (biceps and triceps)
  5. legs

although i loved this routine, it is not realistic to me anymore.  i don’t have that kind of time or energy, especially during marathon training.  i have really tried to work a schedule into my running, but usually it drops off as the miles increase.  i tried switching it to 2 body parts a day (arms and back, shoulders and chest, legs were pretty much dropped) so i wasn’t as lengthy or daunting and i could get more done in one day.  the problem was, what if i was only lifting one day a week?

after talking with chris over the holidays, i decided to give my weights a new routine.  i listed out 3 different days of workouts, and they each had one exercise for each muscle group above including abs.  this way even if i only end up lifting one day a week, at least i hit all the main muscle groups in that day.  i perform them in circuit routine also, instead of one at a time, since i feel like i get a better workout that way.

for example one of my workouts will look like:

1. shoulder press
  2. bench press
  3. bent over row
  4. dumbell curls
  5. tricep dips
  6. lunges
  7. bicycle crunch

i go through all 7 exercises without stopping, then take a short break and start up again.  it goes by really fast and you hit all the main body parts with it.

i have 3 routines listed out in my training excel workbook and i also set up a schedule that looks like my running schedule but only includes crosstraining (spin bike, weights, etc) so i can cross it off the same way as i do with running.  having it in front of me seems to help!

10.11.09.6

i have found it’s pretty easy to do this right when i get home from a run since my blood is already pumping and i am in workout mode.  i am lucky enough to have my home gym now that i can just walk in the door and get going on the weights.  i was able to get in 2 sessions last week which i was happy with, and i will be aiming for 3 if i can.  on the weeks i am unusually tired or busy i will just shoot for one.  something is always better than nothing, and this new routine seems to be the way that works for me!  as with anything, finding something that works for you and something that you will actually do is the key.

do you have a weightlifting routine?  what is it?

***********************************************

tonight i did an easy 5 miler with chris and the pups then came in and did a weight routine.  i feel like i am getting sick and my energy is a little low, but i was happy to get it done!

5.0 miles/46:40/9:20 avg pace

40 Responses to flex those muscles

1. Jo Lynn January 12, 2010 at 8:39 pm #

Build those quads and glutes so you can run up hills easier. However, remain light! ;)

2. Mel-2nd Chances January 12, 2010 at 8:45 pm #

Great weight room you have, and a great routine! I've been doing the P90X which I'm really enjoying right now, which requires very little equipment. Great family run!! :) Hope you're not getting sick, get some sleep tonight!

3. On The Road... January 12, 2010 at 9:05 pm #

Until starting to run, my primary exercise was weight lifting. I can usually get through total body in an hour, including abs and stretching. Glad you figured out a routine!

4. Zoë January 12, 2010 at 9:16 pm #

Awesome that you're getting back into a weight training routine, Aron!

My husband is into lifting weights, so I've been following along for some time now. I love the feeling of "maxing out" and getting a new one-rep max on bench/squats/deadlifts, etc. Plus, I feel stronger on my runs, too.

:) Keep it up!

5. Billy Burger January 12, 2010 at 9:37 pm #

A home gym?! Snap, that's awesome.

I used to include weights + boxing into my regular routine, but might scale back to lose some weight for the upcoming year. Focus is on cardio + core.

Too old to feed my vanity. I'd rather run!

6. *Sarah* January 12, 2010 at 9:53 pm #

When I do strength training at the gym I combine exercises together. For example, rather than doing regular squats in place I'll stand on a Bosu, drop into a squat, stand up and perform an overhead press. Things like that really maximize my time. :)

7. teacherwoman January 13, 2010 at 5:05 am #

This is why I try to do BodyPump class once, if not two times per week. We work all muscles, with a leeetle bit of cardio, using free weights, barbells, and our own body weight. Definitely more efficient for me than using the weight machines at the gym. LOVE IT.

8. robinbb January 13, 2010 at 5:48 am #

I wish I had a weight room at home.

I never had a routine until I got hurt. Since I couldn't run, I did weight training around 5 times a week and I really credit that to my success this past weekend. I am hoping I can keep it up when I add back in mileage….I am thinking of running to the gym on some days and lifting and then running home, we will see!

9. kristenisworking January 13, 2010 at 6:03 am #

I think too many runners skip over weight training which is a shame because it really is instrumental too have good strong muscles, especially in the legs, with all the wear and tear running puts on them. During a training season I never stop lifting. I do decrease the weight itself but to make sure my muscles stay strong and balanced I make sure to do it. I lift heavy in the off season to build up a good base of muscle.

-Kristen

10. sideofsneakers.com January 13, 2010 at 6:08 am #

I used to have a really consistent weight lifting routine (and it really paid off!). I lost my focus a little and now I do it a little haphazardly. Need to get back to that!

11. happygoluckyalex January 13, 2010 at 6:12 am #

awesome workout- i love that they are all do-able at the home gym. i often dismiss strength workouts at the gym with the million different machines due to their complexity. Not ideal!

12. Laura January 13, 2010 at 6:14 am #

i had a cold come out of nowhere and kick me in the butt last week. Took 3 days off and loaded up on meds and feel better – not 100% yet.
    My weight routine…bites right now.

13. Lacey Nicole January 13, 2010 at 6:46 am #

how do you have your training excel workbook set up??? i'm trying (have been forever) to incorporate lifting notes with my running notes but haven't found a good stick-to method yet. thanks for posting your exercises!!!! and having a home gym like the one pictured must be really nice!!!!

i do have a lifting routine and i don't do it often enough. i'm trying to do it twice a week right now realistically.

1. chest- dumbbell press
    2. DB row
    3. bicep curl + shoulder press (go from one to the next = one rep)
    4. tricep dip
    5. wall sits
    6. step up
    7. lat pull down

14. marathonmaiden January 13, 2010 at 6:47 am #

i've been doing full body 2x a week and it's tough to fit that in with so many miles! i love your attitude towards the lifting too and that youre willing to be flexible with it

15. ShutUpandRun January 13, 2010 at 6:52 am #

I don't have much of a routine. Like you, I try to do some stuff after running since I'm a sweat ball anyway. Usually this invovles some planks, push ups, maybe 50-100 situps. It's all very unstructured.

16. Betsy January 13, 2010 at 6:58 am #

Your gym is so cool. Love the finisher's medals as decorations.

I do weight training and core at home on days when I don't run.

17. D10 January 13, 2010 at 7:17 am #

I love your home gym!! I use to love going to the gym and lifting. Actually, I still do, but there just isn't enough time in the day. I do, do strength training at home. I don't use any weights it is all based off body weight. Push-ups, dips, crunches, calf raises, one leg squats, lunges, leg lifts (side and front).

You have a great routine. Stick with it!

18. Chic Runner January 13, 2010 at 8:58 am #

I am so jealous of your home gym! I have been going to the ymca lately with bryan and it works out well though, i'm on some weird guest pass there, hopefully they don't kick me out!

I usually just do machines there 3 sets of 12 each for my arms and I love the cable cross. I could do that all day long. I'm not so much of a free weight girl though. Glad you are doing so great in the home gym, and I totally know what you mean about already being in workout mode! :)

19. Jess January 13, 2010 at 9:11 am #

The home gym looks great! You're lucky to have that kind of room.

20. Katie A. January 13, 2010 at 9:15 am #

I really need to work on our home gym – I am very jealous…it looks so professional? Can I hire you to come ove and fix mine :)
    I need a weight routine…I think like you, if I have a schedule with something I can cross off I will be sure to stick with it – crazy type A's!

21. Denise January 13, 2010 at 9:31 am #

i don't belong to a gym any more either and found that my lifting really struggles. I LOVE to lift, almost more than running so i hate when running takes up so much time that i can't get it in. but since i'm going for the personal training cert, i have to fit it in. i started back up and lift at least 2 days a week. both days i do upper body, hitting every major muscle. one day i do legs. it's hard to fit legs in when i'm trying to balance easy and hard runs and keeping the legs fresh for the next hard workout. if i have time, i'll do total body on the third day.if not, 2 days of lifting is plenty to see results.

22. Marlene January 13, 2010 at 9:41 am #

I give you so much credit for sticking with weight training. I can never find the time/energy/motivation – which I realize is a lame excuse. :)

23. ShirleyPerly January 13, 2010 at 9:52 am #

I hear ya on weight lifting. It's the first thing to go when there's so many other workouts to do. I have to either teach or take classes that incorporate strength training or hire a coach to make me do it.

Good luck in meeting all your 2010 goals!

24. Running Diva Mom January 13, 2010 at 10:11 am #

Nice home gym — I'm jealous — I run in our basement, next to insulation!!!! Thanks for motivating me to lift some weights and build me some muscles!

25. runwritetherapylife January 13, 2010 at 10:19 am #

I like to do circuits that hit all the main groups too! I try to do it twice a week, or I do the 30 day shred!

26. shellyrm January 13, 2010 at 10:48 am #

With Army son gone, I may be forced inside more until the weather moderates (warm enough to put littlest in jogging stroller) and I told myself I would get through P90x and start my weight lifting/core work again. I might just try your plan. As I need something a bit quick or I won't do it!

I still have ultra fever for the fall so I have to get strong and fast because I will be pounding miles once I can get littlest outside more often!

Great job on the run!

27. Amber (Girl with the red hair) January 13, 2010 at 11:22 am #

I'm trying really hard to do more strength training too, I did the workout out of "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" book on Monday and HOLY I'm still super sore today!

Also, I'm so jealous of your home gym! My boyfriend has a home gym at his place (600 miles away from me) haha, but I LOVED it when I went to visit him at Christmas. Only problem was no treadmill! Lol

28. Running and living January 13, 2010 at 11:29 am #

I do 3x20min core workouts 2 times a week (200abs, leg lifts with ankle weights, pilates moves and exercises that strengthen the muscles that stabilize the joints – from Runner's Body by Matt Fitgerald) and ITband/knee strengthening exercises 3Xweek (with ankle weights). I also try to do planks on a ball and pushups whenever I can. I do these while watching TV at night.

29. Heather January 13, 2010 at 11:56 am #

Your home gym is awesome! I need to be better about lifting weights. I don't have a lot of stuff at home and no gym membership, so I rely on kettlebells once a week and I try to do some other type of video/etc at least once per week.

30. Alisa January 13, 2010 at 1:29 pm #

If I didn't have crazyweights class I wouldn't do weights. I, like you, used to love weights in HS/college I just don't know how I found the time to cardio for an hour or more + 45 minutes of weights everyday! Wowza.

I can't wait to have a home gym someday like you but for me I will probably always belong to a gym since I really like (and need) the element of group exercise.

31. Rio January 13, 2010 at 5:36 pm #

I can't help you here…I don't do weights even though my husband has very much into it and even has a weight machine at home. It's great that you're with a routine, though!

32. Nicole January 13, 2010 at 5:52 pm #

i dont have a specific weight lifting workout but im working on more cross training, videos, dips and other things. i wouldnt mind getting some kettle balls so i could do some more stuff at home!

i know what you mean about being in workout mode— i get much more accomplished when im in workout mode too!!! :)

great job on the run!!!!

33. seejessrun.wordpress.com January 13, 2010 at 6:46 pm #

I lift twice a week and do easy leg exercises at home most days of the week. On my off day from running I do upper body and core for about an hour, sometimes more. On another day I do a shorter routine that includes legs.

Your routine looks great! Do you know how to do straight leg deadlifts? Combine them with the bentover row by doing the deadlift then going straight into the row. That way you get in some hamstrings.

34. Mica January 13, 2010 at 7:16 pm #

Oh man, you're inspiring me to be better about lifting and strength training. I really just need to bite the bullet and come up with an easy, organized routine instead of doing a bunch of random crap when I "happen" to go to the gym.

35. lifestudent January 13, 2010 at 7:50 pm #

I used to do a lot of weights and now I dont have a gym membership either. Or a home gym ;) I just carry around a 30lb toddler and hope it does some positive work on my muscles in addition to destroying my back.

36. lindsay January 14, 2010 at 5:14 am #

i sooo need to get back to lifting. i've been saying this for over a year now…

i'm good about lifting 3x/week when i have a gym to go to… not so good about doing it at home. dunno really what that is all about.

37. Keri January 14, 2010 at 10:10 am #

I like to do arm stuff, but that is it. It seems to hard to work in options on my legs, I do not want them to be sore since it seems like I am always training for something!

38. M2Marathon January 14, 2010 at 12:15 pm #

I was a gym rat in college/right after, too. But I don't have that kinda time anymore!

I have a routine similar to yours–it hits all the major parts and that way if I only make it to weights once during the week, at least I worked everything. I go anywhere from 1-3 times a week, just depending on what I can fit in. I try to do core work at least twice a week, no matter what though. My running seems to be much more injury-ache free when I am doing consistent core work.

39. runner26 January 14, 2010 at 4:18 pm #

love it!! all of it! i wish i had an ounce of motivation for lifting these days! i've got nothing–and have no excuses!

40. Jack March 17, 2014 at 9:52 am #

All athletes sooner or later face the situation when they do not see any visible changes in their shape anymore. The latest research has lit the light over this problem. Muscle growth is impossible without the muscle damage. Microtraumas which we get after the trainings eventually enforce the cells division and overall increase of the muscle volume. I have read an interesting article by nutritional reseachers at Military Grade Nutritionals Company. They wrote about the Second Wind – one of their latest products, which prevents the unwanted changes in the muscle tissue, therefore preventing DOMS and fighting so called muscle plateaus. Already tried it several times. At first I was not sure if it was the product’s action or I just have trained less), but after my second training all doubts just went away. It really eased my recovery – almost no soreness! I feel that I can train harder, gaining more results than ever before!