2010 goals

i had a hard time when i first sat down to write my goals for the year.  i am a very goal oriented person (if you haven’t noticed) and after hitting all my goals for 2009 i wasn’t sure where to start for 2010 – my slate was completely blank!  it did make it fun though, getting to add in some new things, as well as just improving on last year.

PRs (personal records)

isn’t it just natural as a runner to want to beat your previous times?  of course i want PRs, although i don’t have anything extremely specific, i will just set some general time goals for the different race distances, just because the number girl in me needs to :)

• 5k: break 22:00 – just because my "PR" now says 21:21 but it was a short course.  i would love to be able to get that on a real course
  • 10k: 46:30 or under (under 7:30 pace)
  • half marathon: under 1:44 – i would really like to get into the 1:42/1:43 range.  i am going to make my first PR attempt in march at shamrock’n where i PRed last year.
  • marathon: i would LOVE to run a 3:35, but since i may only be going for one marathon PR in december (although if i train my butt off maybe i could see one in july), we will see then.  it also depends on what else i get myself into…

new stuff

• trail running!  i want to enter more trail races and just explore trail running in general.  there are so many trails around me and i want to venture out more.  so far i LOVE it.
  • ultra-marathon: i have been wanting to do one for a long time now but was always focused on other things.  since most of the ultra’s are trail races, i wanted to make sure i didn’t hate trail running first, but having loved it each time i go out, i am seriously looking into this.
  • relay: i want to run a big fun multiple day relay!  my friends and i have plans in the works for a big one, so hopefully it will all come together

miles

• break my monthly mileage PR from march (219.3)
  • run 2000+ miles again

series

• complete the destination races 3 half marathons series (just need to run santa barbara wine country in may)
  • complete the CA dreamin race series – surf city, san francisco, long beach

other

• age group place!!  no more 4th place, i want to get in the top 3 for once!
  • weight training, stretching, cross training, all of those things that i always want to do, but tend to slack off on during peak marathon training… i want to be better at them.
  • run more short races!  in 2009 i only ran one 5k and one 10k, i want to run more than that.  its hard to fit them in sometimes to marathon training, but they are fun and i think very beneficial when in the right spot of training.

eating

i have really evolved my eating this past year.  i have eliminated a lot, if not all, “fake” foods (including all fake sugars yay!), and have really tried to work on more of clean eating.  there is always room for improvement on this, and personally i think eating habits are always in a state of flux.  as long as you make slow changes, they will become habits and stick with you.  i still have many areas to improve on and i want to keep improving things in this area.

so there you have it.  2010 should be another great year and so far it is!  i have had a couple of great runs i can’t wait to write about in my next post, i just wanted to get my goals up first.  hope you are having a great 2010 so far too!

61 Responses to 2010 goals

1. onelittletrigirl January 3, 2010 at 1:29 pm #

All day relay races do look so much fun!!! I attended one with friends before I was really into running and have wanted to do one ever since!

2. caronae January 3, 2010 at 1:31 pm #

Sounds like some fun and achievable goals! I did an ultra (it was 33.4 miles) this past year and it was AMAZING. The last hour or so was killer, but afterwards you feel so proud that it doesn't matter. Good luck, and I can;t wait to read about your running adventures in 2010 :)

Caronae

3. marathonmaiden January 3, 2010 at 1:51 pm #

great goals. and definitely within your reach! i want to get into more trail running and a relay too. those kinds of races seem to be more "loose" and fun than typical road races :)

4. Meredith January 3, 2010 at 1:54 pm #

Those are great goals! I would love to know how you eliminated all sugars.

5. Chad Walstrom January 3, 2010 at 2:07 pm #

2000k miles in a year is great! If you do get a chance to run a multi-day relay, jump on it! I did Ragnar Relay Great River with a bunch of people I didn't really know. I made 11 new friends and had an exceptional time! Good luck!

Chad

6. sideofsneakers January 3, 2010 at 2:17 pm #

What great goals! I hope you're able to meet them ALL! :)

7. The Laminator January 3, 2010 at 2:29 pm #

Those are some great goals. I think you'll really surprise yourself with all your successes this year! Mark my works…haha! Have fun chasing your goals, Aron!

8. Denise January 3, 2010 at 2:41 pm #

I felt the same way putting goals together for 2010. It's going to be hard to beat 2009.

I'm running Shamrock, too. Doing the full, though. Maybe we can meet up.

9. Britt January 3, 2010 at 2:56 pm #

great goals!

I also want to work on setting some new PR's, its been too long! I have a little set back right now but hopefully I bounce back soon!

Best wishes in 2010!

10. shellyrm January 3, 2010 at 3:04 pm #

Great goals! You can reach them, no doubt!

I am looking at a 50 mile ultra this fall.

11. Mel -Tall Mom on the Run January 3, 2010 at 3:23 pm #

Awesome!! Zoe and I area talking about testing out the trails around here.. I am very curious to see how I like it..

Hugs to new PR's!!

12. Tim F. January 3, 2010 at 3:45 pm #

I have been running some trials in the bay area lately and it is really fun. There are so many great spots to run that I'm sure you will continue to enjoy it. The hills also are suppose to be good.

13. robinbb January 3, 2010 at 3:45 pm #

Great goals and good luck on the new PR's. I really want to do an Ultra as well, but am waiting for the big 3:40 first. :) Happy New Year!

14. Billy Burger January 3, 2010 at 3:57 pm #

I like! – especially the 'new stuff'!

15. TinaGirl January 3, 2010 at 4:04 pm #

I'll be running RTO with the Flying Monkeys. Maybe see you there? Love the goals for this year! Not sure if I'll make it to Shamrock'n this year, I think I'll run the race here in town the week before but I loved watching you cross the line last year with that huge smile on your face!

16. Adrienne January 3, 2010 at 4:08 pm #

Nice goals! I have a suggestion for a post- you should do one on how you clean eat. I am sure many of us would be interested in it.

17. Jo Lynn January 3, 2010 at 4:12 pm #

Sounds great! Not too "over the top" like some people can be.
    Whenever you decide, for sure, which ultra will be your first, you MUST let me know so I can be there. I probably won't be doing the ultra but I will do a shorter distance and hopefully finish before you cross the finish line. ;) Yay!

18. jen January 3, 2010 at 4:36 pm #

Awesome goals Aron. Some are ambitious, some are exciting, some are practically in the bag- a perfect mix! I know you are going to have an awesome year. :)

19. Allie January 3, 2010 at 4:43 pm #

I can't wait to see all that you will accomplish this year, I just know you can do it all again!!!

20. teacherwoman January 3, 2010 at 5:36 pm #

Looks like some wonderful goals! I will be following you and your endeavors! :)

21. Alisa January 3, 2010 at 5:44 pm #

Ooh an ultra, that sounds fun. I bought Justin trail shoes yesterday.

What relay are the Roho's thinking of running? There are so many fun sounding ones.

22. Jill January 3, 2010 at 7:01 pm #

Perfect goals! Trail running is a blast, I look forward to it all winter. And the extended-day relays are a blast, I hope that works out for you! Happy New Year to you!!!

23. runningcommentaries January 3, 2010 at 7:50 pm #

Can't wait to be along for the ride on some of this :)

Great goals… you are going to have a stellar, fun year.

24. EricaH January 3, 2010 at 9:00 pm #

Amazing Goals, the destination race series sounds like a lot of fun I may have to add it to my 2011 goals. :)

25. Petraruns January 4, 2010 at 12:26 am #

Great goals – I like how you're mixing it up by adding trail running in there as well. And as for the shorter races – I'm convinced they make you faster.

26. Missy January 4, 2010 at 2:56 am #

I hate 4th place…I always feel like I'm forever in 4th place. Totally understandable.

27. Oz Runner January 4, 2010 at 4:21 am #

great goals there…looking forward to seeing you achieve them…

28. Jesse January 4, 2010 at 6:19 am #

Impressive list of goals. Best Wishes to you for the New Year.

29. RunningLaur January 4, 2010 at 7:09 am #

Can't wait for you to accomplish all of these! and the lure of a trail ultra is just so strong :)

30. Susan January 4, 2010 at 7:39 am #

I have no doubt that you will accomplish whatever you put your mind to, especially if it takes hard work to get there! I can't wait to see what 2010 has in store for you. :)

31. skinnyrunner.com January 4, 2010 at 8:56 am #

sounds like some dang good goals to me!

32. skinnyrunner.com January 4, 2010 at 8:56 am #

sounds like some dang good goals to me!

33. Jamie January 4, 2010 at 9:10 am #

Great goals! I'm looking forward to reading about all you accomplish in this coming year!!!

34. Katie A. January 4, 2010 at 9:44 am #

You have come up with a great list of goals – all totally achievable! Can't wait to ride the wave with you! Oooo, and a relay? That sounds like a blast!
    Happy New Year girly! :)

35. Heather January 4, 2010 at 10:01 am #

Awesome goals for 2010!

36. RunToTheFinish January 4, 2010 at 10:38 am #

ohh and ultra how exciting!! I keep considering it, but I think this will be the year of working on speed and then maybe the ultra will fall in line next year.

37. J January 4, 2010 at 10:55 am #

It seems like besides running, everyone is trying to eat clean which I think really helps the running! Great goals! I look forward to following you through another great year!

38. Jess January 4, 2010 at 11:17 am #

Those are great goals and will most definitely keep you motivated in the upcoming year. I can't wait to read about how you tackle ultra training if you choose to go that route!

39. L January 4, 2010 at 11:48 am #

Awesome goals! You definitely motivate me! I also would love to hear more about how you changed your diet… and whether or not your hubby changed with you!

40. Chic Runner January 4, 2010 at 11:55 am #

YAY for new goals and 2010 and YAY for Boston, still <3 :) You totally can rock these goals and I can't wait to follow along! Hooray for The CA dreamin series too!

41. Lisa January 4, 2010 at 12:31 pm #

This looks like a great list of goals. I'll be rooting for you to accomplish every one of them. Maybe you could even knock a couple off at the same time by doing some smaller trail races or short races and getting an age group place. I'd love to do the CA Dreamin' race series someday.

42. HurdlingHam January 4, 2010 at 12:49 pm #

Nice goals! I totally had a 5K PR on a short course for the longest time and it drove me CRAZY – I'm sure you can crush that PR on a legit course in 2010!

Your new stuff goals all sound awesome! Trail running looks like so much fun, glad you're enjoying it and thinking about an ultra!

43. lindsay January 4, 2010 at 1:50 pm #

what?!? no m&m's? i don't know if we can be friends anymore…. ;)

i can't believe you did that! crazy, but good. i know i need to clean myself back up, i used to be a lot better than i am now… :-/

nice goals for 2010! trails and pr's and SOME TOP THREE PLACEMENTS! bring it :)

44. Ron Little January 4, 2010 at 2:50 pm #

Excellent goals, Aron! That's exciting that you're considering your first ultramarathon. Two good sites for Bay Area ultras are:
    The Woodside 50K and the Redwood Park 50K are good first-time ultras.

Also, have you considered the inaugural Oakland Marathon on March 28?

45. Stevi N. Honaker January 4, 2010 at 3:21 pm #

Congrats on some great 2010 goals!

Can't wait for all the wonderful trail runs and pics that are sure to follow.

Oh and do consider sharing some of your clean eating tips. I too am hoping to get better, and it's always great to see how others do it too.

Good luck and Happy New Year!

46. Katie January 4, 2010 at 6:53 pm #

Amazing goals- you can definitely achieve them! Trail running sounds like so much fun!

47. The Happy Runner January 4, 2010 at 6:56 pm #

Terrific goals, Aron! You can achieve them all, for sure. Happy new year!

48. Adam January 5, 2010 at 6:48 am #

Nice goals!! I'm really surprised that you haven't age group placed yet. your def fast enough!

Can't wait to hear about your trail running!

49. Carolina John January 6, 2010 at 8:31 am #

fantastic goals aron. i'm laying out similar stuff. 22 minute 5k, get an ag place, all good stuff.

50. René January 8, 2010 at 8:12 am #

Good luck on completing and exceeding your goals!

51. Tara January 11, 2010 at 10:53 am #

lots of great goal this year for you girl! I'm super excited to see where runing takes you this year and hope to be a part of some of it :)

52. Marathon Maritza January 11, 2010 at 12:37 pm #

Great list of goals, girl!! Especially the ultra, whoo!! I hope that you do one nearby so I can be in your cheer squad. :)

I can't wait to see you kick ass again this year!

1. 2010 | runner's rambles - January 3, 2011

[...] you were to look at my goals for this year and measure my success by how many i accomplished, it wouldn’t be the best of [...]

2. 2,000 | runner's rambles - January 3, 2011

[...] cross that off my 2010 goals! [...]

3. july | runner's rambles - January 3, 2011

[...] did have some racing too (including an AG place which crosses off a 2010 goal off the [...]

4. Q2/june | runner's rambles - January 3, 2011

[...] my 2010 goals [...]

5. Q1/march | runner's rambles - January 3, 2011

[...] my 2010 goals [...]

6. may | runner's rambles - January 3, 2011

[...] am currently at 942.8 miles for the year, so close to breaking 1000 and right on track for my 2000+ mileage goal for the [...]

7. clean it up | runner's rambles - January 3, 2011

[...] more on what is in the foods i am eating, and how “clean” and “whole” they are. one of my goals for 2010 is to continue with this process and clean up my eating even [...]

8. 2011 Goals Check In | runner's rambles - May 11, 2011

[...] 2011 goals were a little different from past years in that I didn’t put specific time goals for races or a certain number of miles I wanted to [...]

9. Race Report: 2012 Way Too Cool 50k | runner's rambles - March 11, 2012

[...] an ultra-marathon for a very long time.  I first started talking about it on the blog at the beginning of 2010, but it was probably in my head way before that.  I really thought I would run one that [...]