my calendar – 2010 marathons

i have been thinking about a lot of things as i am planning out my 2010 race calendar, because you all know that i can’t sit around with an empty calendar for too long!  one of my favorite parts about this time of year is planning next year’s races.

what are my goals?

what kind of courses do i want to run?

do i want to run fast and try to PR, or do i want to step back and do some scenic/challenging races?

do i want to travel or take advantage of what is close?

so many questions!

i have gone back and forth on what i wanted to do for the spring.  it’s my favorite time of year to train and there are some good options for marathons.  since i knew that even if i BQed at CIM i wouldn’t be running boston this spring, i have been thinking about this for a while.

it has been a very different change of mindset for me since i have been focusing on the BQ and fast courses for the past year+.  it is nice to take a step back and not worry about those things, but it’s been hard to change that mentality too. not that i have to change it, i think i just need a little break from always worrying about speed and start being able to enjoy more of what is around me.

after a lot of thinking and talking things out, i opened up the january issue of runner’s world, and there was my answer.  i decided that my legs, body and mind could all use a break from the racing pressure i put on myself and this was the year to run a “spectacular, rewarding, mystical and unforgettable”  marathon and winner of the runner’s world best destination marathon, that has been on my to do list.

big sur marathon!

bigsur

it’s going to be a challenge and it’s going to take a new devotion to hill training with that doozy of a course, but it will be a beautiful amazing experience and i am very excited.

bselevation

so what else?  you know that can’t be it!

2010 will also include another challenging course, where i fell in love with the marathon and have been wanting to do again.  since i deciding not to run it last year, this year i am extra excited for it!

san francisco marathon

aron

and finally, of course, my favorite marathon, where i will be challenging that PR again.

california international marathon

bq

so this year i am sticking to the california races and taking advantage of some great courses and favorite marathons, since the beginning of next year i have a little trip to the east coast planned!

of course there will be plenty of half marathons to go in there too that i am really excited for including:

i have a couple other exciting things up my sleeve too for next year that i am still figuring out.  a full 2010 goals post will be up soon highlighting it all!

should be another great year of races!

45 Responses to my calendar – 2010 marathons

1. Jesse December 22, 2009 at 7:53 am #

Big Sur has always sounded like an amazing marathon to run. I'll be excited to read your report on the course!

2. Rio Runs December 22, 2009 at 7:56 am #

What a good list of races! Big Sur has been on my "one day would like to do " lists. That's just a beautiful area, but definitely a course to prepare for!

3. Anna Banana December 22, 2009 at 7:57 am #

Those are all wonderful choices!!! I like you have your tried and trues and also something totally new! I only wish I lived in California so I could run these awesome races as well!

4. Morgan December 22, 2009 at 8:05 am #

Can't wait to follow your journey for each Aron! You are a continual source of inspriation for us all! xoxo

5. Cate December 22, 2009 at 8:13 am #

I've always wanted to to Big Sur but it's not going to happen this year… I will be at San Francisco and probably CIM, though!

6. kilax December 22, 2009 at 8:23 am #

When I saw that issue of RW, I wanted to run Big Sur too. It looks so beautiful!

7. Laura Lee Langerwerf December 22, 2009 at 8:31 am #

GREAT choices! I ran the Big Sur 10 miler when I was first getting into marathons and it's still one of my favorite races I've run. What an AMAZING experience. :)

8. Britt December 22, 2009 at 8:34 am #

Great game plan, those marathons sounds awesome! Sometimes its good to keep it local, flying just adds a whole other stress level to the process.

Some day I'd love to do Big Sur!

I'm still tweaking my schedule for 2010 but I'm thinking of keeping it fairly local as well. The furthest race would just involve a long drive, but I'd get to stay with my dad!

9. Katie A. December 22, 2009 at 8:40 am #

Soooo excited for you! And sooo excited your running Big Sur and SF! You are so right, this is the year for enjoying the scenery! :)

10. teacherwoman December 22, 2009 at 8:42 am #

Ooooh! Looks like another great year of races! Go you! I think my parents did Big Sur and really liked it!

11. Mel -Tall Mom on the Run December 22, 2009 at 9:21 am #

AWESOME!! I have read a couple bloggers who are running Big Sur, looks AMAZING.. My Goals and plans are coming soon…and if all goes well I will be seeing you on the East Coast :)

HUGS!!

12. Tara December 22, 2009 at 9:44 am #

yay for 2010 race plans! love you're schedule so far and I am excited for Big Sur :)

13. Jill December 22, 2009 at 9:46 am #

I ran Big Sur in '08…you'll love it!! It's definitely challenging, but that's what I loved about it. Do lots and LOTS of hills (the worst are after that monster at mile 11 because they come fast and frequent) and if you can find a wind tunnel to train in, that'd be ideal :).

I so look forward to reading your journey in 2010! Good luck!! Happy Holidays to you!

14. Jo Lynn December 22, 2009 at 9:50 am #

I know where you can find "lots and lots" of hills. ;)

15. Heather December 22, 2009 at 9:55 am #

Looks like an awesome year!

16. Marci December 22, 2009 at 9:55 am #

Looks like a great race line up!! Big Sur is on my list to run someday!

17. runningcommentaries December 22, 2009 at 10:27 am #

Yayyy Big Sur and Shamrockin and other great things!

I'm sure we'll be running lots of races this year!

18. Allie December 22, 2009 at 10:43 am #

Looks like 2010 is going to be a great year. I would love to do a race in Cali sometime, I'm sure any race there will be more scenic than anything in Oklahoma, LOL.

19. Jess December 22, 2009 at 10:44 am #

I think that's a great selections of races for the upcoming year. I'm still compiling all of mine and figuring out what I want to do when.

20. J December 22, 2009 at 10:59 am #

Fun fun fun!! Looks good! Hope you enjoy the holidays!

21. Chic Runner December 22, 2009 at 11:00 am #

You are a sick freak for wanting to run CIM again. HAHA but I am doing the same with Long beach and you will be there this time and get CA dreaming!!!! YAY! :) I'm excited to do THREE races with you. SURF CITY, SF and LONG BEACH!!!! Hooray for reunions. and I don't even have to say it, but I know you'll rock these races and have a great year :) <3

22. marathonmaiden December 22, 2009 at 11:05 am #

great list! big sur looks like such a great race. woot :)

23. ShutUpandRun December 22, 2009 at 11:28 am #

Yay! Big Sur is defitely on my bucket list too.

24. Keri December 22, 2009 at 11:53 am #

Yay! I love 2010 race plans!

I loved the SF Marathon! I wish I could run it again this year. I have always wanted to run Big Sur and hope to one of these days.

25. Carolina John December 22, 2009 at 12:52 pm #

have fun! that's a lot of good marathons. i'm doing the same thing. since we're moving to NC, almost all of my races are going to be in NC, with a couple in SC as well. but i'm def staying close to home next year.

26. DREW December 22, 2009 at 1:36 pm #

Been enjoying your blog for a while and been keeping my eye out for others who will be running Big Sur.

27. Nicole December 22, 2009 at 3:17 pm #

Your going to do FABULOUS!!! I cant wait to follow you through out the new year and watch you kick some serious butt! Hopefully i'll get to see you again sometime soon too!!! :)

28. Lisa December 22, 2009 at 3:48 pm #

planning is the fun part!

29. Meg Runs December 22, 2009 at 4:11 pm #

Sounds like you have some fun plans! I would love to run Big Sur one day…

30. That Pink Girl December 22, 2009 at 4:13 pm #

One thing is for sure, you aren't afraid of hills! It's so exciting to plan for the year!

31. RoadBunner December 22, 2009 at 10:51 pm #

Oh, yay!! You decided on Big Sur!! I'm already signed up :) BTW, that elevation map is WAY misleading. Way, way, WAY more hilly than it shows. The entire course is going either up or down. If it helps, I thought I heard somewhere it is a net downhill course, though. ha ha. Super fun! You'll love it!!

32. jen December 23, 2009 at 6:00 am #

Awesome!!! I think this is going to be an amazing year for you. Yay!

Merry Christmas Week Aron!! :)

33. shellyrm December 23, 2009 at 8:21 am #

You've got a great year ahead! Big Sur looks beautiful!

Have a Merry Christmas!

34. kristen December 23, 2009 at 8:41 am #

Big Sur is on my to do list also (although, not for 2010). Good choice! I can't wait to hear about the mysterious 2010 goals.

35. Jeri December 23, 2009 at 12:01 pm #

I'm so excited to watch your training and racing for the 2010 year. :)

36. lindsay December 23, 2009 at 2:14 pm #

i'm jealous that you have all these options not-too far away! i feel like my local/semi-local race calendar is pretty dull.

cal has lots of marathons that i want to do but with my 50 states goal (again, made before i even ran 1 marathon so not sure how valid of a goal this is haha) i don't want to repeat til i get a good chunk of the states done! it'll probably come down to where the fiance wants to go since he's never been to california and he'll be easy to talk into the 'sightseeing' excuse :)

37. The Happy Runner December 23, 2009 at 4:11 pm #

Looks like good choices, Aron! I'm sure 2010 will be great for you :-)

38. Lisa December 24, 2009 at 11:28 am #

Big Sur is up there on my list of races to do! I won't be doing it this year, but maybe 2011.

I will be a a few of your listed races. I am definitely running Surf City (I'm doing the full) and hoping to do SF and Long Beach. I am also eying Santa Barbara and Healdsburg, but it all depends on budget etc. I am sure we will run into each other on one of those races. :-)

It looks like you have a great year in store.

39. Alisa December 24, 2009 at 4:15 pm #

I'll be at Big Sur too. Justin is running it!

Likely that I'll be at CIM too, probably spectating but potentially running.

40. Denise December 26, 2009 at 6:45 am #

I'm with you…I'm looking forward to some fun, new courses but won't be racing any marathons until at least next Fall.

41. Susan December 27, 2009 at 7:24 am #

I'm still working on my list for 2010, but that issue of Runner's World made me want to run Big Sur as well! Looks like a great 2010 for you. :)

42. Abby December 28, 2009 at 7:10 pm #

Good stuff!

Looking forward to hearing what else is in the mix.

43. Lisa December 29, 2009 at 12:09 pm #

It's awesome how many great races there are in California. Sounds like you have a fun and fantastic year to look forward to.

44. Adam December 29, 2009 at 5:35 pm #

Big sur is supposed to be one of those 'bucket list' marathons. That one will be awesome!!

45. Marlene December 31, 2009 at 4:18 pm #

My training coach and a bunch of people that I run with ran Big Sur this year and they have not stopped raving about it. Coach has been all over the world and run many of the great marathons, but he ranked this one HIGH on the list.

Great choice!