emma’s new PR, a frienniversary and our gym

first off HUGE congrats to all the racers out there this weekend. seriously, SO many PRs and so many GREAT first marathons, wow. i wish my race was after this weekend because you guys seriously have me pumped up and wanting to run! cannot wait for all these race reports!

recovery is going well, my legs are feeling pretty fresh actually, but i am being a good girl and keeping the pace at “recovery” speed like i am supposed to. saturday i slept in which felt amazing, it’s been a while since i got a really solid night of sleep like that without an alarm going off. i had 6 miles planned, so i just headed out from my house and took kylie and emma with me, 3 miles each.

6.0 miles/56:13/9:22 avg pace

sunday i woke up to cool temperatures and overcast skies, it was amazing. i LOVE this weather!!

i often have left both my dogs at home because i want to go run places where it’s not convenient to do the switch half way, and they are just a lot to take together. i hate leaving one at home, but this has also made it so they both miss out on some runs. so today i decided to just let the joy of having emma run with me outweigh the guilt of leaving kylie behind. i will make it up to kylie this week, i promised her… those puppy dog eyes were not easy to leave behind.

emma and i made it out the door around 8 and i had 8 miles planned which would be a new distance PR for her, but i knew she could do it. worst case, i would just walk with her for a mile or so if she got tired. we hit the trail and kept the pace easy and she was having a blast. there were lots of other runners and dogs out and she was smiling her big lab smile at everybody. i fed her pieces of milk bone along the way for her fuel, which she loved. she was keeping up great, and really didn’t seem too tired ever, our last mile was even our fastest! i think i could get in some decent longer runs with her if i keep this up.

8.0 miles/1:15:26/9:25 avg pace

emma very happy after her new distance PR :)

today is also my “frienniversary” with maritza. a year ago today we met up for the first time for a run and then post run breakfast. i have been SO lucky to meet this amazing girl and have her as my friend this year. i can’t say it enough how blessed i am to have all the ROHOs in my life. she is such an awesome friend and i feel like i have known her forever, but at the same time can’t believe it’s already been a year!! happy frienniversary M :) !!!

chris and i have been discussing a home gym for quite a while now. with all his swimming, biking and now running (just got cleared to start running again, slow and short, but its running!), he has a hard time fitting in the gym too. we already had our treadmill, the spin bike, and my free weights, but we didn’t have weights for him to work with, or a space really dedicated to working out… it’s just kind of been all over the place. after some talk, chris decided to quit the gym and we got a few more pieces to make our “gym” complete. we had a guest bed in this room that was never used (we have another guest room also), so that got moved out and we got a bench, some more free weights, a mat and a mirror to complete the room, it actually didn’t take much at all.

we have had so much fun decorating it and getting it set up this weekend… i kind of am wondering what took us so long! as active as we both are, its funny we didn’t really have a room dedicated to it. now we have a place to put all our racing stuff, our running magazines, a place to stretch, and a place to go to workout. i think having this space will definitely make it easier for me to get my weight workouts in, since i can go in there, focus on that, and not be distracted by everything else going on in the living room. i am SO excited!

our little gym

treadmill and spin bike stored in the corner

all my race bibs so far

bulletin boards with schedules, cards,
articles and motivation

all my medals

regional trail map
so it’s been a busy but productive weekend… i am really pumped to get back into training, even though this week the miles will be staying “easy” i am excited to get back in swing of things and to add my new gym into my routine too. 8 weeks to go until CIM!!!

55 Responses to emma’s new PR, a frienniversary and our gym

1. Susan October 11, 2009 at 4:07 pm #

I'm jealous of your workout room! That's so awesome that you have a place dedicated to working out and a place to display all your race stuff.

2. onelittletrigirl October 11, 2009 at 4:12 pm #

I love that you framed your bibs- I have been looking for something to do with mine (they are just clipped together in a drawer right now) and I think I might steal this!

I also hang my medals! They are SO WORTH IT!!!!

3. Lisa Slow-n-Steady October 11, 2009 at 4:17 pm #

Where's Emma's medal? ;-)

Great workout room. I'm jealous!!

4. marathonmaiden October 11, 2009 at 4:26 pm #

LOVE the workout room! looks really good. congrats to emma for the pr :)

5. teacherwoman October 11, 2009 at 4:29 pm #

Great job with the recovery runs! And 8 miles with the pooch is awesome!

Love the home gym.. I would love to be able to do something like that as well!

6. happygoluckyalex October 11, 2009 at 5:06 pm #

You are such a good furmommy!!!
    Looove the workout room- such a good idea. That's awesome that your man can get runnin' again! :-)

7. Lacey Nicole October 11, 2009 at 5:35 pm #

i absolutely LOVE what you did with your race #s. i have all of mine, too, but they are just tacked to a wall and i would love to put them neatly into a frame :) great idea! and what a nice little "corner of the world" you have with that gym :)

GO DOGGIE PR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Tara October 11, 2009 at 5:52 pm #

Yaaayyy Emma! LOVE the workout room!!!! And who doesn't love frieniversaries :) The next 8 weeks are going to be exciting!

9. Marlene October 11, 2009 at 5:58 pm #

I am in LOVE with your workout room! Nice job!!

10. 2boymommy October 11, 2009 at 7:05 pm #

What a nice little gym! I loved how you framed your race bibs… you are so creative! XOXO

11. Rio Runs October 11, 2009 at 7:29 pm #

Nice workout room! My bibs are in a drawer somewhere until I find the time to put them in my running scrapbook which I haven't started yet. Your bibs and medals look awesome! Very inspirational as both of you work out!

12. Amber (Girl with the red hair) October 11, 2009 at 8:08 pm #

Your little home gym looks AWESOME! I love it, I hope to have one when I have a house one day!

I also LOVE how you have all of your race numbers framed!! That is so so cool. I am definitely going to do that!

13. Jo Lynn October 11, 2009 at 8:19 pm #

"Go Emma, Go Emma, Go Emma! That's pretty awesome, if you ask me. I can hardly wait until we run together." Love, Boomer

14. runningcommentaries October 11, 2009 at 8:56 pm #

I love the gym! I thoguht about you today on the trail– lots of people running with dogs! Way to get back at it and be good– no pushing the pace (yet).

Seriously though, jealous of the home gym!

15. Holly October 11, 2009 at 10:24 pm #

Great room! I want one. And I hope your "quit the gym" quote was referencing FRIENDS. :)

16. sarah October 12, 2009 at 1:47 am #

oh, LOVE the gym! i SO want one some day . . . unfortunately there is no such room to use this way in our 1-bedroom apt :)

17. D10 October 12, 2009 at 3:33 am #

I love your home gym! Looks like you guys have everything you need. Congrats to Emma on her PR too!

18. Jess October 12, 2009 at 3:37 am #

Congrats to Emma on her PR! Does that stand for "Puppy Record"?

The home gym looks great! You're lucky you have a home with enough room for one.

19. kristen October 12, 2009 at 4:34 am #

What a great idea. I love it! No excuses for not working out now :)

Yay for emma's PR!! That's a pretty big deal.

20. Mica October 12, 2009 at 5:26 am #

Your home gym is great! I love all the decorations in it, especially the race bibs.

And congratulations to you and Emma on a great run together. :)

21. Heather October 12, 2009 at 5:40 am #

I love your little home gym! Nice to have a spot you can use at home.

22. Katie A. October 12, 2009 at 5:53 am #

I think you may have just put me other the edge to complete our home gym. Like you, we have a lot of pieces already but haven't quite finished. That looks like an awesome place.
    Good job on the miles and Emma's new distance PR! Whoo hoo!

23. runner26 October 12, 2009 at 6:00 am #

what a great room!! fabulous idea! and congrats to emma on the distance PR ;)

24. Roisin October 12, 2009 at 7:05 am #

The decorator/runner/OCD girl in me just totally geeked out at the home gym pictures. JEALOUS!!!

25. X-Country2 October 12, 2009 at 7:15 am #

Dang, can you come make me a home gym? That is SWANK!

26. RunningLaur October 12, 2009 at 7:43 am #

your home gym is amazing!!

27. Mel -Tall Mom on the Run October 12, 2009 at 7:43 am #

COngrats to Emma..AWESOME!! FYI I am sure I would love your Dogs..

That gym looks great! And I think I spy the card I sent you..heheheh

28. busyrunningmama October 12, 2009 at 8:31 am #

Awesome job on the home gym!! Also Great job to Emma on 8 miles! My dog makes it about 2 miles and then I have to drag him home!!

29. Denise October 12, 2009 at 8:39 am #

Congrats to Emma!!!

Love the home gym. We threw something together in our basement but it doesn't have the right feel to me. I think a mirro would actually really help!

30. Keri October 12, 2009 at 9:58 am #

Love your frame with your bib numbers!

I love taking my dog running as well. She just set a record of 12 miles! Kya would love Emma! Labs are here favorites!

31. Jeri October 12, 2009 at 10:10 am #

Crap Aron, your dog has better endurance than I do. :p I better start picking it up over here. Ha. I loooove the home gym. And I love that your race bibs/medals are there to decorate it. I'm trying to think of a cool way to display myself without it being tacky, that's the perfect room to do it!!

32. lindsay October 12, 2009 at 10:32 am #

what a cool room! i love what you did with your race bibs! i mayyy steal that :)

congrats to emma and love to kylie. i hope she was able to enjoy her day off ;)

33. seejessrun October 12, 2009 at 11:30 am #

I am so jealous of that home gym! And congrats to Emma. :)

34. Chic Runner October 12, 2009 at 12:45 pm #

Wow, nice job to emma! :) So fun running with a pup.

And DANG I'm SO jealous of your new little gym! I love the bibs and medals and everything. <3 so cute!

35. Rachael October 12, 2009 at 2:35 pm #

Your new workout room is awesome! & Emma is so cute! Good Job Emma!

36. Sarah Woulfin October 12, 2009 at 4:20 pm #

I LOVE the way you framed your bibs and may steal that idea :> I've hung my medals near my computer-desk where I do a TON of grad school work and find it inspiring!!

37. Ms. V. October 12, 2009 at 5:19 pm #

I love the hanging medals!

38. Lauren October 12, 2009 at 6:56 pm #

love it all, LOVE IT ALL! That bib picture is very cool :)

Lauren

39. Nicole October 12, 2009 at 7:40 pm #

I love your gym! TOo cute! When i graduated HS my parents took my medals and put them in picture boxes, & then attached all the medals to velvet! Its super cool.

Great job to emma she is running great! :)

8 weeks till cim & i cant freaking wait!!!!

40. Jess October 13, 2009 at 5:33 am #

Love what you did with the race bibs!

41. Jamie October 13, 2009 at 6:26 am #

I want a workout room! I love what the two of you did and especially enjoy the race bibs.

And way to go emma! That must have been a fun run!

42. rachel October 13, 2009 at 8:37 am #

your home gym looks awesome!! seriously, you guys did a great job! i bet you are super stoked for that!

43. ShirleyPerly October 13, 2009 at 9:05 am #

Yes, having a home gym is really a nice convenience. I do most of my strength training workouts at home because I hate waiting to use equipment at the gym. My YMCA membership is mainly to use the pool anyway.

And I'm SOOOOO jealous of that nice weather you have!!!

44. Adam October 13, 2009 at 9:12 am #

Wow!! I am really jealous of your gym. I need to set something like that up at my house!

45. Alisa October 13, 2009 at 10:55 am #

Very cool!

I love all your race bibs and medals.

Maybe someday when we have a house we'll have an extra room for our running stuff too =). I've been meaning to do something with all my race bibs and medals. I am considering bringing them to work =).

46. Runner Leana October 13, 2009 at 6:40 pm #

Love the home gym! It looks like you have all kinds of things in there to help with the motivation. It looks great!

47. Laurel October 13, 2009 at 8:02 pm #

I LOVE your GYM!!! Awesome job!!!

48. Running and living October 14, 2009 at 1:21 pm #

Love the room. I have my bibs and medals on a bulleting board, too! Love looking at them!

49. Allie October 14, 2009 at 4:25 pm #

I love what you did with your race bibs, I've been trying to figure out what to do with mine, I definitely want to save them.

50. runrapido October 14, 2009 at 6:43 pm #

So jealous of the workout room! Looks fabulous! & What cute pups you have!

51. Irish Cream October 15, 2009 at 4:38 am #

YAY, Emma! Hehe, she looks SO happy! Love it!

Also, my dream is to have a workout room in my house someday. You've definitely given me hope that this is actually doable! (Although first, I'll clearly have to move out of my tiny NYC apartment!)

Also, I may have to copy your bib idea–I've kept all of mine, but they're just hanging out in a random drawer in my apartment. Might as well show them off, no? :)

52. Melanie October 15, 2009 at 3:49 pm #

Wow, that is an AWESOME home gym! And congrats to Chris on being able to run again!

53. KK @ Running Through Life October 15, 2009 at 4:01 pm #

Love your workout room! I love how you decorated it as well!

54. Mile Posts by Dorothy Beal October 16, 2009 at 3:21 am #

I'm totally copying your race bib idea!!! Did you just paste it to a board first?? Mine are in a giant pile waiting for something to be done with them :) Thanks for visiting my blog!!!

55. Mile Posts by Dorothy Beal October 17, 2009 at 4:55 pm #

I made my race bib picture today!! I love it :) Thanks for the idea – I'll post pics tomorrow. http://www.mile-posts.blogspot.com