10 days ago…

…i was on my way back from eugene with sore legs, a sore spirit, a pretty medal and another marathon under my belt.

looking back over the past 10 days i am definitely feeling better… there are lots of things I KNOW but still take a little convincing, but i am getting there. i know it just takes time.
  • i know it wasn’t a waste
  • i know it made me stronger
  • i know there will be other races
  • i know this is all just part of my running story
i have gone through so many waves of emotions and thoughts regarding this little thing we call a marathon over the last 10 days. here are a few…
  • i don’t know if i want to do that again
  • of course you do silly
  • i wish i could run another one tomorrow
  • maybe i should scrap this whole “train hard for one race” philosophy and just run a bunch this year, maybe one day will be my day
  • how many marathons could i do this year?
  • i know better, i need to pick a race and train hard
  • CIM is too far away, i need to race another one sooner
  • hmmm lots of races in october
  • maybe i should do the 18 week pfitz plan
  • maybe i should do the 70 mile per week max plan
  • maybe i need to try a different training plan
  • maybe i will make my own
  • maybe i will stick to what i know

which is exactly why i still haven’t made any firm decisions and still won’t for a little while longer. i am considering a few different options but i still just need to let this mind calm down. i think i have it figured out everyday, then i change my mind the next. won’t be long though! you know me, can’t wait around too long :)

my thoughts and emotions have definitely shifted from sad/disappointed to ok whats next, what can i do to make the next one better? which i like a lot better.

i did learn a few other things too…

• wright socks still are my #1 sock. after running 26.2 miles in wet socks and i did not get a single blister!
  • oxy sox work… i wore them the whole car ride home and my calves were happy campers the next day
  • dairy queen blizzards + frech fries can help mend a broken heart
  • so can a few glasses of wine
  • or a margarita
  • i am no longer a fan of chocolate gu
  • post marathon massages are definitely worth the money
  • perfect training does not always equal a perfect race… but hard work, dedication and persistence will someday.

i am enjoying my recovery running… i am keeping the pace slow and just getting out there to enjoy the miles, the weather, the time alone in my thoughts and loving every second.

monday: 6.0 miles/54:00/9:00 avg pace

tuesday: 6.0 miles/53:52/8:59 avg pace

happy wednesday :)

62 Responses to 10 days ago…

1. FoodsThatFit May 13, 2009 at 3:07 pm #

I so wish we leaved by each other to train together!! I have been following the Run Less Run Faster program and I am really enjoying it. Maybe it would be a nice change for you to cut back on some of running and do something else to mix it up a bit, like biking???

2. The Laminator May 13, 2009 at 3:12 pm #

Very glad you’re taking some time to think about the next one…it’s natural not to have it all figured out, because honestly, none of us really do. Whatever you pick just has to make sense for you. There’s no right or wrong way. So yes, take your time, enjoy your recovery, and focus on the future. Remember, no matter what, YOU ROCK!!!

3. Sarah May 13, 2009 at 3:38 pm #

Hey – one more good thing that came out of it – the race shirts! They ROCK!! I saw one last week on the girl at the Hippie Chick 1/2 (the race that destroyed MY soul). Anyway – at least you have an awesome shirt!

4. Missy May 13, 2009 at 3:51 pm #

Love some good compression sox! The best.

Sometimes, it just takes a little more time to figure ‘stuff’ out. Get back to ‘regular life’ and see what seems to fit.

5. Amy May 13, 2009 at 3:54 pm #

Aw, Aron, I’m so glad you’re honest about your feelings post-marathon. I’ve never run one but can understand how one race can totally break your spirit for awhile. But you live and learn, right?

Take your time coming up with a training plan. I like to pick one and then modify it with what I already know.

6. Lisa Slow-n-Steady May 13, 2009 at 4:02 pm #

so, is it a few glasses of wine *or* a margarita

or

a few glasses of wine *and* a margarita.

just want to capture that correctly for whenever i might need it. ;-)

7. Nicole May 13, 2009 at 4:04 pm #

I LOVE this post! Someday i will enjoy a margarita with you.. i dont know how soon, but someday (hopefully this year)!

Your amazing and my running inspiration. You will BQ and be a great runner no MATTER what you do!

8. Irish Cream May 13, 2009 at 4:05 pm #

I think you’re definitely doing the right thing, chica. Take your time in figuring it all out . . . it will come to you! In the meantime, enjoy the relaxed, easy runs while you can :)

9. Kim May 13, 2009 at 4:12 pm #

Aron…glad you’re feeling better. Sounds like you still need to take some time to figure out what ou would like to do…there is nothing wrong with that. Take it easy and Happy Wednesday.

10. Marci May 13, 2009 at 4:21 pm #

Glad you are feeling better, you can totally race more than one race a per year (a bit bias here!). Can’t wait to read about what is next.

11. Mel-2nd Chances May 13, 2009 at 4:21 pm #

These mind dumps are great to get your thoughts out, i’ve been doing that since sunday too. I especially like your last point under things your learned. So true! Glad you’re feeling better though and thinking about what’s next :)

12. Brian May 13, 2009 at 4:37 pm #

Sounds like you’re going through a pretty natural post marathon progression. I bet you’ll be telling us about your new plan in just a couple of weeks. I can’t wait to hear about it.

13. Adam May 13, 2009 at 4:41 pm #

Yeah, hang in there. I’d try to find a new race and knock it out of the park!

I honestly think that a certain % of runs will just be bad runs. Say, 20%. I think that you just had the shitty luck of having it on race day. I’d do another one in a few months and see where you are at then!

PS. Choco Gu SUUUUUCKSS. I don’t know why they make SO many versions of it.

14. The Happy Runner May 13, 2009 at 4:51 pm #

Great, great post. Glad you are letting the french fries help out a little :-)

15. Abby May 13, 2009 at 5:48 pm #

What a great post… I had a lot of these same thoughts in the past week – especially about the chocolate gu!

16. Blyfinn May 13, 2009 at 5:54 pm #

DQ blizzards can cure almost anything can’t they?

17. jen May 13, 2009 at 5:56 pm #

Everything you said is right on. I have totally been there and you are dealing with this in a very good way! You are such a fast and amazing runner, of course you want more from yourself. But, you realize what an awesome thing you did 10 days ago and won’t let that just slip by unnoticed.

I think it was just not your day, I don’t think you need to drasticly ramp up the mileage. But what do I know! It might work for you considering you seem to handle the mileage well. Whatever you decide, make having fun your #1 priority and there’s no way you can go wrong.

18. Natalie D May 13, 2009 at 6:03 pm #

loved reading this!!!! :) you go girl!

19. Mark May 13, 2009 at 6:52 pm #

Aron, you did train very, very well! It is good to see you are working through this so well. You are fast, strong, and smart! You will prevail!!

20. kate May 13, 2009 at 6:53 pm #

I probably won’t BQ until I’m in my 70s :o) but I think all of us (runners) dream about it.

Keep dreaming and running. Boston will be worth it when you get there! Keep enjoying the process until then.

21. rachel May 13, 2009 at 7:26 pm #

i loved your last list of bulleted items. i love reading your story…not because i enjoy anyone who hurts, but it’s encouraging to see that you are human too. :) we all struggle in some way or another…some worse than others…so it’s motivating and encouraging to see how other people struggle and what they do to deal with it. i am glad you are on your way to feeling happier. :) xoxo

22. Jamie May 13, 2009 at 8:02 pm #

Love the bullet point review. Good to see you are working through it in a very healthy way and looking on to what’s next :) Only good things to come!!!

23. Jo Lynn May 13, 2009 at 8:48 pm #

“i am keeping the pace slow and just getting out there to enjoy the miles, the weather, the time alone in my thoughts and loving every second.” That’s the key, I say. Have something lined up, I always do. But just take it a little lighter is all. Oh, and try some trails. LOL ;)

24. Southbay Girl May 13, 2009 at 10:20 pm #

Woo Hoo! Enjoying running! That’s my girl! Because that is what it’s all about!!!

And wine, margaritas and a blizzard are all good broken heart menders-I personally believe in wine!!!

San Fran July 26th……we’ll all be there…..dinner on saturday night in Little Italy……

25. joyRuN May 14, 2009 at 3:18 am #

Excellent post!! Who knows what the magic ingredients are for the perfect race?

Mmmm… dairy queen blizzards and french fries…

26. RunToFinish May 14, 2009 at 3:24 am #

all good and worthwhile things to ponder, remember and settle in to. I know every runner has come to this road at some point and because we are the crazy creatures that choose to run…a new path is formed and off we go

27. D10 May 14, 2009 at 3:51 am #

Great post Aron. I think you trained really well for Eugene and that you were well prepared. Somedays things just don’t come together for whatever reason. I don’t think you need to bump up your mileage, but you gotta do what you think will be best.

Whatever you decide just know a BQ is in your future.

28. Denise May 14, 2009 at 4:03 am #

You’re doing the right thing by taking your time to think things through. SO glad you’re feeling better. I’ve actually been thinking about you a lot. I’m putting so much time and effort into this Ultra and it’s scary to think that come race day, it might not be my day. But I won’t know until the time comes. Just have to hope for the best. I admired your training leading up to the marathon, you had such a solid plan. You’re going to rock the next one!!

I just got a pair of wright socks to try out. Going to wear them tomorrow for my 15 miler!

29. Marcy May 14, 2009 at 4:04 am #

That’s right girly! Vino always makes it better ;-) Glad you’re feeling on the ups

30. Jess May 14, 2009 at 4:37 am #

Glad you’re remaining positive!

31. Mica May 14, 2009 at 4:51 am #

Glad you’re feeling better! More DQ blizzards and french fries if you fall back into a funk!

32. Marlene May 14, 2009 at 5:06 am #

Wishing you continued recovery of the body and mind! Good luck figuring out what’s next.

33. Roisin May 14, 2009 at 5:16 am #

I’m glad you’re able to keep it in perspective, yet be so honest at the same time. I imagine I’d react much in the same way.

Looks like I’m gonna order those darn Oxy Socks too…drat ;)

34. I Run for Fun May 14, 2009 at 6:16 am #

Glad you are able to think this through. Glad you are still enjoying your runs. Just keep doing it and may be throw in some variety. I’m sure you’ll figure out your next move and will be kicking butt real soon. Good luck!

35. kristen May 14, 2009 at 6:49 am #

Your so cool. You have such a good head on your shoulders.

Things always have a way of working out. You’ll do the right thing for yourself.

36. Marathon Maritza May 14, 2009 at 8:12 am #

I love that you’re focusing on the value that this race has brought to you, along with it’s many lessons…great attitude!

I can totally see going through all the same back and forth thoughts too…In fact, I’ve gone through so many of them myself chasing this darn PR for the last 3 marathons! I say think about what you love about running, what you feel makes you stronger and build from there! You are an awesome, inspirational runner and you’ll totally get there!

37. Lisa May 14, 2009 at 8:34 am #

I’m a firm believer that things happen for a reason. You didn’t have the race you had hoped for and that only means that you WILL in have it in the future. You have a good attitude about this. Of course you are diappointed, who wouldn’t be, but you’ve put your big girl panties on and are already looking to what’s next. You rock either way!

38. Heather May 14, 2009 at 8:36 am #

I love your recovery list. I’m hoping to find Oxy sox at the expo this weekend.

Sounds like you have a really good outlook. No matter what you decide to do, you are a running rock star!

39. Jess May 14, 2009 at 9:34 am #

Sounds like you’ve been doing a lot of thinking and I know you’ll come out of recovery with a solid plan!

40. tfh May 14, 2009 at 9:49 am #

I’ll be looking forward to seeing your plan when it comes, but until then, I like thinking of you taking it easy, having a margarita, running easy, and relaxing and catching up on sleep. Sounds so nice.

41. Jeri May 14, 2009 at 10:12 am #

omg DQ blizzards + french fries + wino can cure ANYTHING in my book! Have we considered them as a possible cure for cancer yet? Because we should. :)

I love your optimism and drive that you’ve found from your race. I’m excited to see what’s next on your agenda and follow along while you complete your BA training.

42. RoadBunner May 14, 2009 at 11:11 am #

Great post! I agree that this training cycle was NOT a waste! Your body is so much stronger and all those weeks of training count way more than that one marathon day. Next time around you’ll be even better! And one day (soon) everything will fall into place on a marathon day :)

43. seejessrun May 14, 2009 at 11:51 am #

It definitely made you stronger. You work so hard and you WILL get that BQ.

44. Petraruns May 14, 2009 at 12:16 pm #

Girl you are so right. Make no decisions about anything – the truth will come to you. In the meantime I hope you can FEEL the love and warmth everyone is sending you – we all know we’re going to be cheering you on again soon enough. Take your time! Oh and wine and french fries cure most things. Absolutely!

45. Petraruns May 14, 2009 at 12:17 pm #

46. teacherwoman May 14, 2009 at 2:11 pm #

Great post Aron. Keep pushing yourself!

47. Fair Weather Runner May 14, 2009 at 2:13 pm #

Good for you! I really need some recovery socks. And I’m with ya, Blizzards and Fries can solve a lot of heartbreak, so I’m glad you induldged. The wine and margaritas don’t hurt either (my personal favorite heartbreak menders!)

48. Amanda May 14, 2009 at 3:18 pm #

Great post! You are an inspiring and amazing runner, and you have such a great attitude. I can’t wait to see what’s next in store for you!

49. lindsay May 14, 2009 at 3:43 pm #

great recap of the post-race emotions. your thought process is so true! and also similar to me trying to figure out where to get dinner tonight. should’ve seen me driving around :)

anyway. you’ll figure it out. love the headless shot! ;)

50. Alex May 14, 2009 at 4:11 pm #

Maybe you have run too many marathons too close together and need to take a rest from training!

51. Ms. V. May 14, 2009 at 5:25 pm #

ah, kid. Chin up.

Malibu in November? I also have a November marathon half that I didn’t do last year. Want it?

Um, it’s in Fresno, but if they are true to their word…free!

52. ShirleyPerly May 14, 2009 at 5:46 pm #

I think if we didn’t occasionally have things that didn’t go our way the ones that went right would not shine as bright. Keep smiling and running :-)

53. marathonmaiden May 14, 2009 at 6:02 pm #

i love reading how open you are about running! awesome post, and i will definitely have both the margarita and wine with you!

54. bill carter May 15, 2009 at 5:05 am #

Hi Aron

You will be back and better than ever. I promise. The marathon is truly a test that pushes our bodies to the edge.

Take care of yourself and best of luck with your training.

55. Nitmos May 15, 2009 at 6:59 am #

You’ll be back out there marathoning again. And you know it. you won’t want to leave a partially sour taste in your mouth for very long!

Every one has one they wish they had done better. I have about 3 myself.

56. Alisa May 15, 2009 at 8:03 am #

What can’t a Dairy Queen blizzard cure?

All of these thoughts are so open and honest, that’s what I love about your blog. You are so open to throwing it all out there.

I think you’d be crazy to try the 70 miles per week plan but that’s just me. I think you did everything right and like you said, it just wasn’t your day. IT WILL BE YOUR DAY! I bet it’ll be the day you least expect it to be.

You certainly inspire me to keep running even when I really dislike it some days.

57. Chad in the AZ Desert May 15, 2009 at 9:03 am #

I think it is very smart of you to take your time after your last race and decide on the best plan for you before you sign up for your next marathon. Keep up the great recovery runs and I’m sure you will come up with a great race plan for the rest of the year.

58. Susan May 15, 2009 at 9:21 am #

I totally understand the train of marathon thoughts running through your head. It sounds like an awesome idea one minute, and then the next it’s like…why would I run 26 miles???

Glad you’re keeping positive about everything. There’s nothing a DQ Blizzard can’t fix! :)

59. Runner Leana May 15, 2009 at 7:45 pm #

Those are all normal emotions to go through. Take your time enjoying your recovery, and I have no doubt that the perfect next race will find you!

60. Tara May 18, 2009 at 1:09 pm #

LOVE this post! everything you said is right on! take your time and just let your mind go in which ever direction it needs…when the time is right you will have your answer! You did amazing and can’t wait to share marathon #4 with you in 2 short weeks! :)

61. Melanie May 18, 2009 at 6:19 pm #

Wow, that sounds like me on any given day. I am always going back and forth on what I should be doing. My doc had me convinced my injury had little to do with the running, but I still get so nervous as I think about starting training again. I want a PR in Chicago, but I also don’t want to get hurt. It’s crazy how hard it is to just make up the mind sometimes about what to do.

62. Laura May 25, 2009 at 8:33 am #

I think doing a bunch of races might be a good idea. I LOVE that I don’t have to get disappointed when I don’t make a PR, because I can try again soon. Granted, that doesn’t do much for my motivation, but you sound plenty motivated so maybe it would be just the ticket for you!