twelve and a safety recap…

HAPPY FRIDAY!

i am so glad its friday. i am just so ready for the weekend!

i had a 12 mile run on the schedule for thursday. since i was going to be doing the whole thing on my own, i really wanted to try to get it done before dark. so i took off a little bit early from work and changed up the routine a little bit to just run right from the office. the trail i run on is only maybe a half mile away from the office – why didn’t i think of this before? it saved me a good 15-20 minutes from driving over to park on a different spot on the trail to go to the same place. i was running by 5pm and decided to take one of the routes chris and i have been on. i had only been out about 3 miles on this trail before so i decided to take it further to see where it goes. it was so pretty to have some new scenery. all the leaves are changing colors and the evening was cooler, it was a perfect evening for a run. there were a ton of people out walking and lots of dogs too!

this week my stomach has been giving me some issues and just hasn’t been feeling all that great. i can usually get it to go away and not bother me on my runs but it was annoying me almost the whole 12 miles. i don’t know what is up but it can stop now! so i tried to just not focus on my stomach and kept knocking the miles out. i was keeping a pretty steady pace in the high 8′s and low 9′s which is just where i wanted to be. i had already worked all day, i didn’t really have a whole lot of umph to push it harder, plus the stomach was hurting and i want to save all my umph for sunday. one thing about running further on a trail than you have been, is you can run into hills you didn’t know were there. as i went out further there were a couple of good hills… nothing crazy tough, but definitely made me work a little harder which was nice! it kept it interesting :) i stopped to take a pic with my phone of mt. diablo when i made it to the top of one hill, it was so pretty. overall a great, very pretty run… and i made it back before dark!

12.0 miles/1:47:04/8:55 avg pace

thanks to everyone for their input on yesterday’s safety post… you guys had some great tips i didn’t think to write so i will recap here:

• road ID (or some sort of identification) with: who you are, an emergency contact and if you have any special medical notes.
  • tell someone where you are going, and if you know, how long you will be gone. then if you aren’t back within a reasonable time they know where to look
  • lights that clip on to you to make you visible to other people and cars
  • bring cash just incase
  • make eye contact with people you run by, always be assertive
  • if you have dogs and can bring them, they are always good for safety
  • pepper spray
  • run against traffic
  • run with people

check out D10′s blog from yesterday. she has a bunch of links to reflective gear. i am going to go check out some lights this weekend too, and hopefully find some sort of road id because that isn’t something i bring with me and i definitely should!

many of you asked about my “shorter run pack”. i use this one and i love it! its slim, light and fits great. it will hold all safety essentials noted above easily.

san jose rock and roll 1/2 marathon is sunday and i hope to see fellow bloggers julianne, audrey and roadbunner there (am i missing anyone??). i will be in pink so keep your eyes out for me :)

good luck to ALL the marathoners and racers this weekend! P.O.M., laura and i am sure a few others i forgot will be rocking portland this weekend!

hope everyone has great weekends!

26 Responses to twelve and a safety recap…

1. D10 October 3, 2008 at 8:25 am #

Nice job on the run. Again, I don’t know how you find the energy to run 12 after a days work!

I need to carry some form of ID with me , that is one thing I dont’ carry, but could be extremely important.

Good luck this weekend. I am sure you are going to have lots of fun meeting up with Julianne, audrey and roadbunner. Can’t wait to read all about it.

2. Lily on the Road October 3, 2008 at 8:27 am #

GOOD LUCK Girlie! Have a great race!!

believe it or not, I got to the local vet’s office and get the clip on blinkie lights that you’d put on your dog / cat collar! I clip one on my running belt. They work GREAT!!!

Lily, my cat wears one on her collar now in the mornings when she sits out on the back deck!! I know exactly where she is even though she doesn’t think I can see her

;^)

3. Julianne October 3, 2008 at 8:45 am #

12 miles after work? you are soooo hardcore. seriously, you rock. i’ll have to see you at the finish line because i’ll only catch a glimpse of the dust that you leave behind at the race on sunday!

are you gonna go get your bib today?

4. Laurel October 3, 2008 at 8:54 am #

Yeah, I’m totally impressed by you pumping out 12 miles after work. You’re my hero!

5. J October 3, 2008 at 9:16 am #

I definitely want to get that Road ID thing, it looks like it would be good and easy to wear.

nice job on the run, even after working all day! You are going to rock that half marathon! lol

6. tfh October 3, 2008 at 10:25 am #

Have a great time on Sunday! I can’t wait to read the race report. Hope the stomach troubles are only a temporary thing.

7. Burger October 3, 2008 at 10:44 am #

Great stuff – all helpful advice.

GI issues plague us runners at some point in our lives, but it’s all trial and error I suppose. Still, great run!

And best of luck this Sunday – can’t wait to see what kind of time you’re capable of putting up!

8. joyRuN October 3, 2008 at 11:20 am #

12 miles after work AND with a bum tummy? NICE job!

9. Jess October 3, 2008 at 12:00 pm #

Awesome job on the 12 miles!!!

10. Frayed Laces October 3, 2008 at 12:25 pm #

Great run. I love running trails. I just feel so…alive!

11. Nat October 3, 2008 at 1:34 pm #

There is something about new paths eh?

Way to knock out 12 miles when you don’t feel like it…

12. BeachRunner October 3, 2008 at 2:40 pm #

I wish we had trails around here. Have fun this weekend rocking that half. You will kick ass!

13. Danica October 3, 2008 at 2:50 pm #

Such good tips. Wish I had great trails like you do. I totally know the feeling of the upset stomach too. Been having that latley as well. Good Luck on your race! :)

14. jen October 3, 2008 at 2:52 pm #

Good job on the run! Good luck this weekend at the half. I hear it’s a great course.

15. Running Knitter October 3, 2008 at 3:32 pm #

Good luck on Sunday! Have fun!

16. Chellie has Issues October 3, 2008 at 3:58 pm #

Good luck with your race. I used to have pepper spray back in the day until the airport security took it from me. I might need to buy some more now that I think about it since I always run alone.

17. N.D. October 3, 2008 at 4:07 pm #

Good luck on Sun!! Nice job getting through the 12. I think stomach issues are so frustrating! It is better when you can run through them but they are tricky!

18. KK October 3, 2008 at 4:27 pm #

Woohoo! Way to go on a loooong run after work. Good luck on the RNR half.

19. RoadBunner October 3, 2008 at 5:40 pm #

I am convinced you will never see me during the race since I’ll be way, way, way in the back. Good luck! Oh, and I am a member of Road Runner Sports!

20. The Laminator October 3, 2008 at 7:12 pm #

Finding a good trail to run on is a rarity in my part of town…maybe that’s why I love it so much. Anyway, glad you got your miles in and best of luck in your race this weekend!

21. Alisa October 3, 2008 at 7:58 pm #

You are so dedicated…I used to be that way…lately everything seems to have gotten in the way (I know I know, no excuses).

Great job!

Getting close to Healdsburg…are you running San Jose and then Healdsburg??? Wow…you are a busy little racer this month.

22. Girl on Top October 4, 2008 at 5:09 pm #

Good luck! You have been doing so good. Can’t wait to hear your report!

23. Vava October 4, 2008 at 6:05 pm #

What a great way to finish off a Friday. My training plan has Fridays as rest days, but perhaps I will have to rethink this after my race… Great pace too!

24. Roisin October 4, 2008 at 6:47 pm #

Good luck and be spectacular!

25. Marlene October 5, 2008 at 1:10 pm #

Way to hang tough through the run even with stomach issues. That is a long run for a weeknight. Kudos to you!

Thanks for the safety tips – definitely good to think about this time of year when it’s darker in the morning AND after work.

26. Marcy October 5, 2008 at 3:11 pm #

I’m with d10. I’m pretty bad with the ID unless I have my FB with me (then I just stuff my license in there) I really need to get up on it.

Great job on the run, considering how you felt! Very nice!